History of Hebei Iron & Steel
The Hebei Group is the second largest steelmaker in the world, producing 44 million tonnes (mt) of steel in 2011.
The timeline below covers the history of the firm.
- 1918: Xuanhua Iron & Steel Group established ~1918.
- 1943: Tangsteel founded as Tangshan Iron and Steel Group Co.
- 1958: Handan Iron & Steel Group established as a state-owned firm.
- 1970: Wuyang Iron & Steel established as a military steel facility.
- 2002: Handan investment in 300kt Danieli Sendzimir HDG line.
- 2006: Tangsteel merger with Xuanhua I&S and Chengde I&S.
- 2007: Handan takes 35% stake in Minmetals cutting/slitting SSC jv.
- 2008: Tangsteel investment in new 150kt/yr organic coating line.
- 2008: New Siemens-VAI hot strip mill commissioned at Chengde.
- 2008: Hebei Iron & Steel formed from Tangsteel/Hansteel merger.
- 2010: Xuanhua purchase from Siemens VAI of new wire rod mill.
- 2011: Signs iron ore development deal with Australia's Richmond Mining.
- 2012: Hebei Group gets Gov approval for investment in Alderon.
- 2012: Chengde plant starts production of earthquake-resistant rebar.
- 2012: Announces purchase of Rio’s Palabora Mining Co in South Africa.
- 2013: In search with Alderon for 3rd partner for Kami mine project.
- 1918: Origins of Xuanhua Steel were as the Longyan Iron and Steel Company. This was a joint state-private enterprise which set up an ironworks in Xuanhua based on the iron ore supply from local mines. In those early years, coking coal for the plant had to be transported by rail some 400 km from sites in Shanxi province and the main focus of production [as also in later times] was pig iron.
- During the 1970s, Wuyang - with a strong reputation as a leading steel rolling mill - succeeded in the production of 4.2 metre wide thick steel plate. This was a notable technical achievement.
- Result of 2006 merger was the creation of the New Tangsteel Iron and Steel Group.
- 2008: When formed, Hebei Steel comprised seven steel companies including Tangshan Steel, Xuanhua Steel, Chengde Steel, Handan Steel, Wuyang Steel, Henshui Steel Sheet and Shougang Jingtang Iron and Steel.
- Shougang Jingtang Iron & Steel was a 10 mt / year joint venture between Shougang and the Tangshan Steel Group.
- 2011: ASX-listed Richmond Mining and its wholly owned subsidiary in the USA Nevada Iron signed the framework agreement with Hebei Iron & Steel Group to fast-track development of the Buena Vista iron-ore project in Nevada.
- 2012: Hebei plan is to invest C$194 million ($195 million) for a ~20% stake in Canada's Alderon and a ~25% interest in Alderon's principal mining asset known as the Kami project [iron ore mining].
- 2012: Xuanhua also announced this year its ability to sell boron steel rod as well as quake-resistant steel bar.
- 2012: December 2012 announcement concerned planned involvement of Hebei Steel in a group purchase of Rio Tinto’s Palabora Mining Company in South Africa for approx $476 million. Other firms involved in this purchase included the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa.
Back to Knowledge Base Index