|Please get a paid subscription to access earlier price data (from January 2001).|
|Please get a paid subscription to access more recent price data.|
Table last updated: 12th January 2017. Next update: ~ 10th February 2017.
1) Prices are in US $ per metric tonne. They describe average monthly world export fob prices.
2) Product definitions are as follows (for further detail, see harmonised system 6-digit codes listed below):
3) Pricing data is compiled by MCI. It originates from national customs statistics of larger exporting countries. Figures cover the following 6-digit codes within the harmonised tariff schedule: HRC 720839, CRC 720917, HDG 721049, OCS 721070, tinplate 721012, rebar 721420.
4) Note that the latest price points (the last two months in particular) for each steel product may change, as additional customer data becomes available.
5) Final data point normally shows prices per tonne that are ~2 months old. [A short delay is necessary for data collection].
For other online information on the cost of steel see Quandl industrial metals cost charts. You might also check out MEPS world steel price data. Another useful resource is the London Metal Exchange (LME) billet cost analysis. For historic graphs, see our steel price charts page.