|Please get a paid subscription to access earlier price data (from January 2001).|
|Please get a paid subscription to access more recent price data.|
Table last updated: 23rd January 2018. Next update: ~ 23rd February 2018.
1) Prices are in US $ per metric tonne. They describe average monthly world export fob prices.
2) Product definitions are as follows (for further detail, see harmonised system 6-digit codes listed below):
3) Pricing data is compiled by MCI. It originates from national customs statistics of larger exporting countries. Figures cover the following 6-digit codes within the harmonised tariff schedule: HRC 720839, CRC 720917, HDG 721049, OCS 721070, tinplate 721012, rebar 721420.
4) Note that the latest price points (the last two months in particular) for each product may change, as additional customs data becomes available.
5) Final data point normally shows steel prices per ton that are ~2 months old. [A short delay is necessary for data collection].
Steel prices typically move through peaks and troughs, in a so-called price cycle that typically lasts several years. Across this cycle, the price of steel can easily change by +/- 20% or more. Feel free to contact us for further information about the next price cycle or for related forecasts covering steel products or steelmaking raw materials.
For other online information on the cost of steel see Quandl industrial metals cost charts. You might also check out MEPS world steel price data. Another useful resource is the London Metal Exchange (LME) billet cost analysis. For historic graphs, see our price charts page.