History of the China Steel Corporation
China Steel Corporation (CSC) is located in Siaogang District, Kaohsiung, Taiwan. In 2018, CSC was the 22nd largest steelmaker in the world, producing ~16 million tonnes (mt) of steel.
The timeline below covers the history of the firm.
- 1971: China Steel Corporation founded 1971 by Taiwan government.
- 1972: Kaohsiung Plant Site Office established.
- 1974: Construction of steel works begins.
- 1975: Head office relocates from Taipei to Kaohsiung.
- 1977: Phase I construction work ends. Plant capacity is 1.5mt/yr.
- 1978: Invests in subsidiary named China Steel Structure Co Ltd (CSSC).
- 1995: CSC is privatised on 12th April.
- 1998: Establishes China Steel Management Consulting Corporation.
- 2000: Invests in Yieh Loong Enterprise Co Ltd.
- 2001: Creates new subsidiary - China Steel Machinery Corporation.
- 2004: CSC invests in Kuei-Yi Industrial Co.
- 2006: Liquid steel capacity approaches ~10 mt / year.
- 2008: Acquires Dragon Steel Corporation.
- 2009: Sets up China Steel Sumikin Vietnam jv.
- 2011: Acquires Changzhou Xinzhong Precision Alloy Forging Products Co.
- 2011: Set up China Steel Corp India Pvt Ltd in October.
- 2012: Invests in China Steel Precision Metals Qingdao Co Ltd.
- 2014: Invests in United Steel Engineering & Construction Co Ltd.
- 2014: China Steel Resources Corporation is established.
- 2015: Starts electrical steel plant in Dahej, India.
- 2015: Raises stake in Formosa Ha Tinh Steel.
- 2017: Signs offshore wind farm MoU with Orsted.
- 1971: When founded, CSC head office was in Taipei. Today, the HQ and steel plant are located in Siaogang District, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- 1978: A key CSSC raw material was steel plate. This was purchased from CSC for the manufacture of steel structures for the construction purposes (typically infrastructure projects).
- 2004 Yieh Loong Enterprise Co Ltd officially renamed as the Chung Hung Steel Corporation.
- 2004: The Kuei-Yi Industrial Co renamed The Dragon Steel Corporation in July 2004.
- 2011: Changzhou Xinzhong Precision Alloy Forging Products Company - a producer of special alloys - was later renamed as Changzhou China Steel Precision Materials Co.
- 2015: Commissioning of CSC's $237 cold rolled electrical steel mill, which os located in a Gujarat industrial development park, took place in January 2015. The facility includes an annealing line and a coating line, and produce 200,000 tonnes a year of electrical steel.
Back to Knowledge Base Index