Steel Industry Capital Investments
Modernisation and capacity expansion projects 2016
- Argentina, Gerdau, Perez, EAF / CC / Bar, 2 phase investment . Phase I completion was in 2011. Phase II is in 2016.
- Belgium, ArcelorMittal, Gent Works, Reheat furnace, New walking beam furnace for ArcelorMittal Gent's HSM.
- Brazil, Ferrous Resources do Brasil, Juiz de Fora, BOF / CC / Slab , Slab mill project of Brazilian miner Ferrous Resources do Brasil. Valued added focus.
- Brazil, Shin Hwa Sil Up / JK Shin jv, Not disclosed, Tin plate line(s), Plant to be built in Rio Grande do Sul state.
- China, Ansteel, Panyu, HDG, Auto quality galvanising line. Construction to start in 2014 and finish in 2016.
- China, Kobe / Angang jv, Kobelco Angang Auto Steel Co, CRM - tandem, JV for production of advanced CR high-strength steel sheet for auto sector.
- China, Shadong Iron & Steel, Rizhao Works, BOF / CC / +++, BF capacity 8.1mt / BOF 8.5mt. A Bank of China loan is funding this investment.
- China, Wuhan I&S, Fangchengang Works, BOF / CC / +++, Plant will produce 8.5 mt iron, 9.2 mt of steel and 8.6 mt of steel products.
- Ethiopia, Derba Group, Toussa Steel Factory, Bar mill, Derba Group is owned by Sheik Mohammed Hussein Ali al Amoudi
- Hungary, Wuppermann Group, Gyor-Gonyu Works, HDG, Pickling line and HDG line located at Hugarian harbor
- India, Mughal Steel, Mughal Steel Works, Induction furnace, IPO raised funds for this modernisation.
- India, SAIL, Rourkela Steel Plant, HSM, Facility is to serve the auto and white goods sectors.
- Indonesia, Fuhai Group / Ansteel jv, Ujung Jabung Works, BOF / CC / +++, Plant will use locally sourced 'sand-iron' in BOF steelmaking process.
- Indonesia, JFE Steel, Not disclosed, HDG, JFE Steel plans to make HDG sheet 0.4-2.3 mm in thickness and 800-1,850 mm in width.
- Indonesia, Krakatau Steel, Cilegon Works, Blast furnace, Built also by Chinese state-owned firm Metallurg Group Corp's Capital Eng & Research
- Indonesia, Krakatau Steel, Cilegon Works, HSM, Contract is with SMS Siemag and PT Krakatau Engineering.
- Kenya, Mabati Rolling Mills, Mariakani Coating Complex, Organic coating line, This is Mabati's 4th OCS line - the facility will use new technology from Korea.
- Nigeria, Setraco Construction Company, Welded tube - Spiral, Production is planned of 3 metre double welded helical water pipes.
- Russia, Donelectrostal, Rostov plant, EAF / CC / Bar, Donelectrostal and Rostov regional Gov signed MoA in September 2012
- Russia, Industrial Union Donbass, Armavir, EAF / CC / Bar, Melting shop 1.5mt + light long 700kt + rod 500,000t. Construction was to start in 2012.
- Russia, Metally i Innovatsii , Pikalyovo, EAF / CC / Bar, THis plant is to focus on the domestic market
- Russia, NLMK, Novolipetsk Metallurgical Works, HDG, Expansion hot-dip galvanizing line HDG-1.
- Russia, NLMK, Stoilensky, Pellet plant, This strategic project will enable NLMK to substitute in-house pellets for external purchases.
- Russia, Tulachermet, Tula Works, BOF plant, A 160t converter is to be supplied by SMS
- Ukraine, ArcelorMittal, Kriviy Rih, PCI, PCI for BF#9 (5000m3; the biggest blast furnace in Europe)
- Ukraine, Metinvest, Azovstal, PCI, PCI for BF#4 (2000m3)
- Ukraine, Metinvest, Yenakievo Iron & Steel Works, Sinter plant, State of the art sinter plant from Siemens VAI.
- USA, Big River Steel, Big River Steel, EAF / thin slab / HRC, CSP line for production of 1.5mt (Phase 1) then 3mt (Phase 2) of HRC incl CRC and HDG.
- USA, North American Stainless, Ghent Plant, Slitting line, Construction to begin January 2015 and is expected to be completed in early 2016
- USA, Nucor-Yamato Steel Company, Blytheville, Quench & temper, Quench and self-tempering process for production of high strength low alloy steel beams.
- USA, Tenaris, Bay City, Seamless tube, State-of-the-art seamless pipe mill, heat treatment and premium threading facilities.
- USA, VoestAlpine, Port Corpus Christi, DRI, Natural gas fired facility will be located at a deep water port.
More projects: see 2015 iron and steel industry investments
See also: analysis of plant and equipment suppliers
Top locations: See Top 5 capital investment locations 2001-2015
MCI maintains a database of over 950 current modernisation projects in the international steel industry. This database contains individual modernisation records identifying the country, investor, facility, capacity impact, capital cost, capex cost per tonne, commissioning date etc. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 775 149 0885 for further information.