Information About Us
Steelonthenet.com steel portal
- Activities: Steelonthenet.com is a steel industry news and information portal. We provide news reports, data, statistics and other info - mostly free - to attract steel industry
visitors. The purpose of this is two fold. First, it is to attract iron and steel industry advertising and thus help us to cover our fixed costs. Second, it is to promote our consulting business,
because it is consultancy work [mainly international due diligence, restructuring, modernisation, feasibility appraisal] that represents our largest revenue stream.
- Business model: The business model pursued by Steelonthenet.com is similar to that pursued by a number of fast-growing media organisations. (These are especially prominent in the
newspaper industry). In this model, free content drives consumer interest. This in turn drives increasing circulation and viewing and thus increases advertising revenues. Ultimately this model
generates profit only through strong management focus on fixed cost control.
- Target audience: Our target audience is global steel industry professionals, meaning senior and middle level steel plant management and including owners, CEO's, company directors
and advisers. These roles span the activities of steelmaking as well as trading and steel distribution / stockholding and the activities of equipment suppliers, engineers, analysts, investors,
bankers and consultants from around the world. Students - as potential future steel industry professionals - are very much welcome to use the website also.
- Site access: Site access is free to all visitors (including businesses and private individuals) who may access the site as frequently as they wish without charge.
- Goals: Our current goal [as at end-2017] is to move from a daily visit level of ~500 unique site visits / day to ~5,000 visits/day over the medium- term. At the latter visitor activity level our advertising income will be more closely aligned to the level of our fixed costs. Other site goals include an appropriate level of consultancy referrals for MCI [Metals
Consulting International Limited] which is our iron and steel consulting business unit.
- Management: The Steelonthenet.com website is managed and operated by Metals Consulting International, which is a limited company registered in England and Wales
[company registration 4938719]. MCI was incorporated in October 2003, and is privately owned.
- Location: The website is run from Woodford Green in Essex [just outside London] in the United Kingdom. See contact page for further details.
- Origins and launch: The Steelonthenet.com steel portal was launched towards end-2001. The site was founded by Andrzej M Kotas, a management consultant with ~10 years steel sector
consulting experience at the time.
- About Steelonthenet.com Television clips and press cuttings with some of our personal opinions on industry issues can be found on our media pages. Readers familiar with Slideshare may also be interested in our Media Information Pack
- More about MCI: More information about Metals Consulting International [our consulting firm] may be found in the MCI consulting brochure
If you have any questions or comments about us, please contact our editor.