The Polish Institute for Ferrous Metallurgy is also known as the Stanislaw Staszic Institute for Ferrous Metallurgy, or as the 'Instytut Metalurgii Zelaza' (IMZ).
The Institute's research personnel is organised into the following 7 research units:
Business and Process Consulting Group
Head: Wojciech Szulc, Dr. Eng.
Chemical Analysis Laboratory
Head: Grażyna Stankiewicz, Dr.
Materials Testing of Power Engineering Equipment Group -
Head: Janusz Dobrzański, Dr. Eng.
Materials Properties and Structure Laboratory
Head: Jerzy Wiedermann, Assoc. Prof. PhD
Primary Processing Group
Head: Marian Niesler, Dr. Eng.
Processes Simulation Laboratory
Head: Roman Kuziak, Prof. PhD
Product Technology and Applications Group
Head: Bogdan Garbarz, Assoc. Prof. PhD, Eng.
Total number of employees involved in research activity is 76, out of them 53 persons have higher education level. 31 of them have PhD degrees, and five other hold professor's title or a postdoctoral degree.
The top management consists of four people:
- General Director – Adam Schwedler, Dr. Eng.
- Deputy Director for Scientifi c Affairs – Józef Paduch, Prof. PhD
- Proxy for Promotion – Tadeusz Bołd, Prof. Dr.
- Chief Accountant – Grażyna Mączyńska
Moreover, there is a position of Proxy for Management Systems in the Institute; the Proxy supervises operations of Quality Management System as well as coordinates works dedicated to implementation of the Integrated Management System.
Five units provide the necessary administrative and technical service in the fields of management and information, finance and accounting, human resources, maintenance, IT services.
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
• development and optimisation of briquetting, pelletising and sintering processes for iron-bearing materials and heat recovery from sinter coolers
Pig iron metallurgy
• development and optimisation of hot metal production technology, including pre-treatment of hot metal (desulphurisation, desiliconisation), improvement of reducing gas thermal and chemical energy, utilisation in the blast furnace, the use of substitute fuels in the blast furnace, direct use of fine-grained burden materials in the blast furnace without deterioration of charge permeability
Metallurgy of steel
• research and development work on improvement and optimisation in all stages of steel production: including selection and preparation of charge materials, melting and refining in electric furnaces and oxygen converters, secondary processes including: inert gas stirring, synthetic slag treatments, injection of powdered reagents and cored wires, ladle treatments, static and continuous casting of steel including numerical and physical simulation and modelling, parameters selection, development of casting powders and others
• basic research into plastic working processes including determination of flow stress functions, plotting of processing maps, determination of hot workability of technical materials, physical simulation of manufacturing processes
• development of hot rolling procedures for long and flat products
• roll pass and roll fitting design
• development of cold rolling procedures for steel strip
• development of cold drawing procedures for homogeneous and composite materials
Heat treatment and thermo-mechanical processing for property control in steels and alloys
• development of heat treatment procedures
• development of thermo-mechanical treatment procedures
Power engineering for steel industry
• energy-efficient ignition furnaces for sintering belts
Control and automation of metallurgical process
• algorithimisation of manufacturing processes and development of computer software in the field of computer-aided management,
computer-aided process control, tools management (in particular rolls and roll fittings)
Utilisation of waste materials
Water cycles management
Certification of materials [for chemical analysis: steel, nickel and cobalt alloys, iron ores, slags]
SERVICES OFFERED - SIMULATION & MODELLING
Phase transformations investigation
• TTT diagrams, incl conventional isothermal and continuous cooling TTT diagrams, TTT diagrams after prestraining, continuous cooling TTT diagrams for simulation of welding, TTT diagrams simulating specifi c cooling conditions• determination of critical temperatures for steels and alloys• determination of temperature ranges for precipitation processes of phases, initially quenched• determination of selected kinetic parameters of phase transformations (simplified kinetic analysis)
Physical simulation of thermo-mechanical treatment• multi-deformation experiments execution including complex cooling histories• simulation of continuous annealing process of IF, BH and DP steel sheets
Material modelling• development of constitutive models for flow stress in TMCP• microstructure evolution modelling during thermo-mechanical processing including precipitation processes kinetics and strengthening effects• phase transformations modelling• simulation of flat rolling processes including microstructure evolution, deformation force and torque predictions• simulation of shape rolling and accelerated cooling including phase transformations kinetics and mechanical properties predictions
Continuous casting simulation• predicting material properties during continuous casting• determination of crack formation criteria for continuous casting process
Simulation of rolling and processing flat and long products in semi-industrial scale (to be launched after completion the simulation line).
SCIENTIFIC, TECHNICAL & BUSINESS CONSULTING
Scientific, technical and business consulting
• selection of steel grades and steel products for specific applications
• selection of machines and equipment for manufacturing and processing of steel products
• scientific and technical consulting in the field of materials research and metallurgical chemistry
• material expert analyses, determining reasons of equipment and steel components breakdowns
• consulting the application procedures for Integrated Permit for the use of the environment in accordance with the European Union IPPC Directive
• consultancy in scope of BAT
• market research
• financial and economic analyses
• feasibility studies and business plans.
For further information, please visit IMZ website: http://www.imz.pl/.
For brochure, see attachment.Back to Knowledge Base Index